Sunday, January 6, 2019

Why I Give Poetry to the Homeless

I am glad to share my book of poems with people, and it fills me with joy to share it with someone who is feeling down or oppressed. It is a book of encouragement and hope, and ideal for those who are needy.

While stopped at a light a homeless man with a sign asking for handouts approached the car. I gave him five dollars, and a copy of my book of poems of encouragement and hope. There was only a moment of time before the light would change, but I took the moment to tell him that I wrote this book of poems for him and I hoped it would give him encouragement and hope. He was grateful and said that he is looking forward to reading the poems.

I do not know what he appreciated more, the book or the five dollars, but I was glad for the encounter. If my life was different, it could easily have been me standing there asking for hand-outs. He is a man who is made in the image of God just as I am, he is a man whom my Savior died for and a man who once had a mother just like me. But I had an opportunity to show him some kindness. I hope that when I am in the time of need others will reach out to me too.

I know that my book encourages people who read it. People who read it tell me that it inspires them and that it helps in their troubled times.

I hope that he gets on his feet and finds happiness, and I hope he finds faith in a loving God.

I give this book away at every opportunity as an act of love, and sell it for as low a price as I can so others may do the same.

If you are in need of encouragement or know someone who does you should order a copy today, you will glad to have this book.

© A.E. Dozat 1/6/18