Thursday, January 25, 2018

What Happens When Your Finish Illustrating Your Book Of Poems?

I've spent the last three or four months illustrating my book of poems, Beyond These Dark Lands Are Edges Of Joy.

I am relieved to have finished the last drawing. These illustrations are all black line drawings. Each drawing took about six hours and had at least three drafts. I used multiple techniques to create them while trying to maintain a consistent style across all the pictures. I am happy with my work even though a couple may need further revision.

It was harder to draw the illustrations than writing the poems. It was harder because I wanted to balance each poem with its illustration; then to have each illustration share a theme throughout the book. So I drew a road in almost every picture. It is a road in which the reader travels through this land. I was afraid that there would be too much of the same thing and that all the pictures would look like the same road scene, so I spent a lot of time looking at pictures getting ideas.

So my question is now that I've finished the drawings what do I do next? Do I scan them into my computer or download a photo image from my camera?  Do I save them into PDF format and then cut and paste them into the manuscript? Do I format the manuscript into PDF for the printer first and merge the drawings in somehow? I'm working in Microsoft Word, (I know it is primitive when there are better publisher products out there, but I am poor), so I cannot edit PDF files. I think I will scan them into my computer then cut and paste the drawings into the Word doc and then convert the entire manuscript into a PFD for the printer.

I did a test on one page and I am really happy with how it looks.

(c) Adron 1/25/18