Friday, March 2, 2018

Can Poetry Be Used By God To Minister To Someone Who Is Discouraged?

Can God use my book of poems in somebody's life to make a difference?

GOD IS A BIG PART OF MY LIFE
God is a big part of my book of poems. I felt that the commission to write it came from Him. I was working on another collection of poems last year but felt that The Lord wanted me to do this one instead. I know a lot of people say God told them to do this or that and when it is done you really wonder why, so I approached this with great care and reverence.

As a person of faith, I feel that God must be part of everything I do. He is not just a part or afterthought but the directing energy that leads and empowers me. To do something for God in your own wisdom, or strength is not doing something for God, it is doing something for yourself; so I sought God for every word and each step in writing this book of poems.

THIS BOOK HAS QUALIFIED POTENTIAL
This book has a unique potential to be used by God.

  • I drew on my experiences knowledge and the wisdom gained from following the Lord for over forty years. 
  • I did research to maintain healthy and doctrinally correct content.
  • I even withdrew some pieces that were not sound according to discussions I had with licensed professional counselors. 
  • A friend who teaches counseling at a seminary reviewed it and I made further changes.
  • Over the last year, I made many revisions to keep the message clear.


RELIANCE ON GOD
More importantly, I relied on The Lord for guidance through much prayer and searching His Word, the Bible, daily. I constantly returned to Him to seek His leading and even His censure. I listened to his "still small voice" in times of meditation and reflection.

JUST THE BEGINNING
I feel this book is in accord with God as He revealed Himself in the Bible. I've written it in a spirit of humility and obedience and believe it is something that He will use. Of course, He is God the All-powerful but He is also God the All-holy and He will not partner with sin, rebellion or foolishness but will use that which is lowly and humble.

GOD'S WORD
Every poem features a Bible verse that encourages or points to The Lord and His Christ. Putting Bible verses in the book was not a ploy or marketing hook but an expression of faith and honor to God, who said, "My word will not come back void but will accomplish that which I please." (Isaiah 55:11).

THE GOSPEL MESSAGE
God through Christ is the answer to our pain, guilt, and emptiness. I finished the book with an explanation of how to come to Christ, who by his atoning death and resurrection is the source of peace and hope for each one of us.

HOW GOD MAY USE THIS BOOK
  • A friend may give it to someone who is going through a difficult time and the words of comfort may speak to their heart.
  • A pastor may share it during hospital or hospice visitation, after conducting a funeral or counseling someone experiencing loss or grief.
  • Copies may be placed in the lobby of a house of worship, funeral parlor, counseling center or any place of faith or service. 
  • A copy might be mailed to a friend or loved one who is going through a hard time.
  • It could be available in retreat centers and a person in a season of reflection may read it and hear God whisper comfort to them.
  • Missionaries doing work among the poor or homeless may find it useful as a way to begin conversations.
  • First responders and disaster relief counselors may find it helpful to give to victims of a natural or personal disaster.
When a person receives this book they may not then be ready to receive comfort or be open to the Lord at that moment, but it will be there when they are ready by God's spirit to read this and turn to Him in faith.

If you or anyone you know feels that you need God to speak comfort and light the way to hope in your life then pick up a copy of this book, He may use it in your heart.

(c) Adron (c) Adron 3/2/18